Tofu and tempe stewed in a sweet and sour coriander marinade.
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp asem tua [mature tamarind]
about 2 Tbsps gula jawa [palm sugar]
1¼ cup water
12 large pieces of tofu and/or tempe
Note: Chicken, cut into pieces, can be substituted for the tofu or
- Stir-fry tofu and tempe in oil for a few minutes.
- Crush coriander, garlic, and salt in a lemper.
- Put water in a wok. Add coriander mixture, tamarind, and sugar.
- Add tofu and tempe (tamarind and sugar don't have to be complete
dissolved yet) and simmer.
- Continue to simmer until the liquid is gone.
- Serve with sayur bening or just eat with rice and sambal bawang.